Are You Suffering From Internet Marketing Information Overload?

Earlier this week I had a very interesting conversation with one of my consulting clients. She has been working on her online business for a little over a year, and has followed quite a few ‘make money online’ blogs and sites during that time period. She expressed to me a concern that I would imagine many of you are dealing with.

I can’t remember the exact wording of what she asked, but it was something like this, “Court, what you’re telling me just seems too simple. I’ve been reading and reading and honestly I’m starting to feel like I’m never going to understand everything I need to learn.”

I’m going to tell you what I told her, and sincerely I hope that this helps you to gain some perspective.

One of the biggest challenges of being a ‘make money online’ blogger is that people’s attention spans are very very short. Everyone has literally hundreds of options of sites to read. This creates a lot of pressure for MMO bloggers to create content that compels. A lot of the time, this means that they have to create something downright sensational to get any attention.

Everyone wants to break the next big news, product, or technique and this often comes at the expense of talking about the stuff that really works. You aren’t going to read much about the nuts and bolts of marketing online on many of the sites (of course there are exceptions). Why? Because that stuff doesn’t grab people’s attention.

Here’s what I find funny. I have lots of friends that ask me how to do this stuff. I’ll show them how to choose a keyword and will then help them set up a domain and hosting. I will then teach them how to create content and build links. Since they haven’t read all of the sensational stuff that doesn’t matter as much, they get right to work. They don’t question. They get the results we thought they would get.

When I get the chance to talk to people from the MMO world, it’s a VERY different story. They usually ask like 5,000 questions about this technique and that one. Usually when it comes down to the nuts and bolts, they aren’t doing the tasks that are the most important.

What are the most important tasks?

Building content and links.

Building content and links.

Building content and links.

Building content and links.

There’s nothing wrong with reading MMO blogs. But… if you let the sensational stuff get in the way of the stuff that is going to make your business grow, I’m afraid that you will run into a lot of frustration and confusion.

Internet marketing has become very social. But… if you’re frustrated about your results and have no idea why, you’re probably working on the wrong things.

Related Posts by Categories



Comments (0)